Tuesday, March 10, 2015

YT, Wikipedia and the rest of them Internet things

I recall times before WWW was around when users of Internet were few, when we had to know special and sometimes complicated ways (remember Telnet, FTP, Gopher) to get information we were looking for and then mostly always only text. But yet, I was so excited about its availability.

Then when I first time saw WWW in 1993, I thought to myself, yes, here is the way all of us can share information and knowledge with each other. Short time thereafter, I logged into on line radio station from Vladivostok and also one from Harare and had an exhilarating experience of being virtually in those places, hearing the same programming that folks who lived in those two respective places did including weather and traffic reports. I was almost there. Wow.

And, now YouTube, Wikipedia and the rest of them things available on Internet to all with means to access them both as consumers and producers of knowledge. I find so many interesting videos on YT, for example, that it just overwhelms me. I regularly watch videos about science, religion, and history -- those three areas fascinate me and it seems that I could sit forever and watch stuff always new. It is just fantastic how much people share on this thing.

I hope that this medium will only improve and never go away as a pseudo-free superhighway to sharing information and knowledge across the globe. Hurray for Internet!

No comments: