Monday, November 17, 2008

Sings of age

I got a shocker the other evening reading an on-line news publication from Croatia - a former Miss Yugoslavia committed suicide - she was 62. Well, this particular lady, Ms. Nikica Marinovic, was Miss (former) Yugoslavia in 1966 and became first runner-up at Miss World that year. She was born and grew up in Dubrovnik.

Later on that year, we had our high school prom and Ms. Marinovic was invited. She came with her boyfriend who was a drummer in a local rock band and was controlling her every step.

At some point during the ball I got this crazy idea that I wanted to dance with her - she had not danced up to that point at all. I did not even dream that that would be possible given who she was, who I was, and given her eagle boyfriend. I went to their table and asked her to dance and she agreed!! So, I danced with Miss Yugoslavia. My friends did not let me off the hook for that one ever. And now she is dead! Hmmm.

P.S. In preparation for that prom, my mother gave me my very first ever lesson in Tango. Earlier that year I danced to the first tango I remember ever - Tango Delle Rose.

No comments: