Thursday, August 6, 2009

Breastfeeding

It is time for my monthly musing, so here it goes.

We are so screwed up where I live. I do not remember when the last time was that I saw a woman breastfeed a baby if ever in the USA. In many other parts of the world, women breastfeed where ever they may be when the baby is hungry. There is not much more in life that is human than the act of breastfeeding a baby. Yet, somehow some consider that a case of indecent exposure, some feel uncomfortable.

What's the matter with us? Why do we get so perturbed at a sight of human female breast in public doing the natural thing? I don't get it. It boggles my mind actually. I feel sad thinking about it.

Most of all I feel sad for all the babies who do not get the benefits of breastfeeding -- the most natural and healthy food they will ever have is denied to them in their first encounter with the world.

No comments: