Friday, February 15, 2008

Milongueando 2008

It’s been both exciting and frustrating for me since I left for Buenos Aires on Feb 8. So, I have not written down any of my experiences and will try to summarize them now.

Friday, Feb 8, 2008 – I left for Buenos Aires

My dear friend, Karen, took me to the Tallahassee airport and all seemed just perfect. Arrived to Miami well ahead of the time of the departure for Buenos Aires – four hours.

Went the the Aerolineas Argentinas desk to get checked in only to discover that somehow, between Thursday and Friday evening, someone cancelled my reservation. That sent me straight through the roof. AR had changed my ticket several times since I bought the ticket back in October – four months ago – to the extent that I lost one day in Buenos Aires. Well, I begrudgingly accepted all that since I felt I had little choice. And now, no reservation on record at all? Well, I got really angry and angrier by the minute.

After much finagling I got the boarding pass and was on the plane for Buenos Aires as scheduled. No “we are so sorry for your trouble” – nothing. I mean, very bad business indeed.

1 comment:

Bob Sakamanno said...

One thing about Aerolíneas Argentinas (if that's what you were using, since they share the acronym with American Airlines, i.e., AA): the company is owned by Spanish capital (both state and private), and since they took over a few years ago, it has gotten worse and worse. If the Spanish airline Iberia were a model of good and reliable service, I would understand them taking over another airline to improve it. But neither Iberia nor Aerolíneas Argentinas (who share some of the same owners) provide a service that could be called "reliable" by international standards.

I myself have used Lufthansa and British Airways when flying from/to Buenos Aires, and I was always satisfied with them. The only instance where I would use Aerolíneas would be if they had a 50%-75% off promotion (that would be a good motivator :-) )