Wednesday, January 9, 2008

primaries

Various thoughts race through by always-busy mind. It's about the NH primaries yesterday and election in general, more about evolution/creation, music I listen to, and, of course, always the immortal dance of tango.

NH primaries. I wonder what it is a testimony of that the pundits talk about the "come back kid" or the Iowa-momentum. Or they talk about too short of a time between Iowa causes and NH primaries so voters do not have enough time to "re-think" their votes. They talk about such-and-such candidate loosing/gaining ground. Everyone talks about "change," " experience," and such. All very generic stuff. I think all of that is a testimony of the inadequacies of the US electoral system.

I can understand how vote-casting calculus works and why the results of a previous primary/caucus election in the same election cycle would influence my vote. I suppose, if, by some reasoning (and here the media play a very crucial role) "my candidate" has no or very little chance of the overall win or some similar important role, I'd better switch my vote to the candidate who has the chance of winning, even if he or she is not "my candidate." That way I would make it almost certain that "my candidate" does not win.

I suppose you can argue that on some level it actually makes sense because in the process the candidate who is the best for most people eventually bubbles up on top.

But, why not have all the primaries on the same day and vote for two candidates - the most and the next most preferred one. I would prefer that in order to cut out the "pundits" effect.

I will leave the others thoughts of the day to other posts.

2 comments:

7 of 9 said...

I thought of voting for two candidates, too, but my line of thought was to vote for the most and the least prefered candidate. e.g. to vote "for" and "against".
I can see, though, that your idea is better for several reasons.

7 of 9 said...

It is me, Sanja. :-)